Advice for adults with care & support needs

This page is for anyone over the age of 18 who cannot always protect themselves from harm and may need care services because of mental illness, physical impairment or learning disability, age, illness, or personal circumstances.

What is safeguarding? 
Safeguarding means protecting your right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. There are different ways in which people can be harmed or abused. For example:

Physical abuse – where you are hit, kicked, pushed or suffer any kind of physical harm. It is not OK for anyone to hurt you.

Sexual abuse – where someone touches your body without you saying that it is OK, or where someone makes you take part in, or watch sexual acts that you don’t want to, or make you feel uncomfortable. It is not OK for anyone to touch your body unless you say they can, or to make you look at or do something you don’t want to.

Financial abuse – where someone takes your money, property or other things that belong to you, or makes you sign for things like loans that you don’t want or don’t understand. It is not OK for anyone to take your money, or your property, or to get you to agree to anything about money that you don’t understand.

Emotional abuse – where someone shouts at you, says nasty things about you, threatens you or makes you feel scared. It is not OK for anyone to bully you.

Neglect – where someone who should look after you doesn’t do what they should and leaves you without the care and support you need. The person who should look after you might be a friend or family member or a paid carer. It is not OK for anyone who should look after you to leave you cold, hungry, wet, soiled or without your tablets.

I am worried about myself or another adult

If you are worried about something that is happening to you, or to someone you know, services will work with you to make sure that you, or they, are safe.

You will be treated with respect and listened to.

In an emergency call 999 or call Manchester Contact Centre on 0161 234 5001

I am missing from home or care

Greater Manchester Police will help you if you are missing and you want to make contact with loved ones or get help.  Call them on 101 or visit the nearest police station to talk to someone.

If you are missing from home or care, or are thinking of going missing, visit the Missing People website  or call or text them for help on 116 000 or email You can text them even if you have no credit left on your mobile phone.

Herbert Protocol visit the GMP website to find out about the scheme to care for someone who has Dementia and may go missing.

What happens if I ask for help?

This is what you can expect if you tell services about harm or abuse to you or someone you know:

  • you will be asked about what you want to happen and they will do their best to make sure that it does
  • you will be provided with any help and support you need to report abuse, and you will be involved in everything that happens
  • you will be provided with information about what abuse is, how to recognise the signs and what you can do to seek help
  • you can be sure that the professionals will work for what you want and will only get involved as much as needed
  • you can be sure that professionals will treat your personal and sensitive information in confidence and will only share what is necessary to get the best results for you
  • you will understand the role of all the people involved in supporting you.

What to expect during assessment and care planning – a quick guide for people using adult social care services

People who use social care services should be treated as individuals. Their care and support should be based on what they can already do, what they want to achieve and the help they need to live their lives in the way they want to. This SCIE guide will help people to understand what they should expect from social care staff during assessment and care planning. It covers:

  • making decisions
  • support from an advocate
  • needs assessment
  • care planning.

Download a copy from

The Herbert Protocol

The Herbert Protocol is a national scheme being introduced locally by Greater Manchester Police and other local agencies which encourages carers and family members to compile useful key information which could be used in the event of a person with dementia going missing.

The Herbert Protocol is a form which is kept at home, or in a safe place, with important information about a vulnerable person. Should they go missing, information is easily on hand about routines, medical requirements and favourite places to visit and can be handed over to the police, alleviating the worry of collecting it together during a stressful time – download the form from the GMP website at or see our Herbert Protocol resource.

Stop Adult Abuse: Cheshire East Service User’s spoken words

A Service User subgroup of the Cheshire East Safeguarding Adults Board created a spoken word video working with the Axis Arts Centre at Crewe Campus, Manchester Metropolitan University.

The spoken words focus on the service users own life experiences and send a powerful message to Stop Adult Abuse.

The service user group are keen to share this far and wide – visit the website to find out more.


Got a question?

Use our quick Q+A to find commonly asked questions.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

View our resources page

Latest News and Training & Events

We try to keep our news feed as up to date as possible and feature items of interest to practitioners and volunteers across our partnership.




This protocol provides guidance and signposting to support for schools and colle ...



We are pleased to share our Annual Report for the period 1st April 2020 to 31st ...




Face to Face/ Virtual training Offer A number of new training sessions will tak...



The Manchester Safeguarding Partnership (MSP) partners are clear about their res...


GMFRS logo
nwas logo
CPS logo
Christie logo
Cafcass logo
GMSP logo
hw_manchester logo
Macc logo
PAHT logo
MFT logo
mhcc logo
NHS England logo
CRC logo
NPS logo
GMP logo
Barnardo's logo
MCC logo
Manchester Safeguarding Boards